头像
老黄
Site Admin
帖子: 28022
注册时间: 29-07-05 周五 12:07 am
来自: 太平 --〉关丹
联系:

在网上查找文学教学的材料,意外发现本地的一个超棒论坛——
MELTA (Malaysian English Language Teaching Association)

法情能否也打造成这样的论坛?且待大家的努力耕耘。

以下转贴该论坛的一个讨论课题(如上)

http://www.melta.org.my/modules/newbb/v ... at&start=0

Author:m.nirmala
Posted on: 2006/7/21 22:00

Literature? What's the purpose?

Pleasant greetings to all! I have been in the teaching profession for more than one and a half decade. Life as a teacher who often needed transfers due to my husband's designation (average of 3 years once) is not a bed of roses.

However, I believe in the saying, “Rolling stone gathers no moss”. It was truly an adventure! So far, I have taught in eight different schools and each school is unique. The students and staff of each school are distinctive too. As such, my role as an ESL teacher certainly varied from school to school but I managed to swim the rivers of challenge through trials and errors of apt methodologies/techniques/strategies. All along the journey of fulfilling my obligations to my clients i.e. students, I have been involved directly or indirectly in the planning/implementation of various programmes introduced by the Education Ministry.

It was rather an imprecision when the Education Ministry in 1999 set out to make Literature a compulsory subject in national schools. Datuk Seri Najib Razak (who was the Education Minister then) said that, “The ability to appreciate literary works is important as only then will one know how to differentiate between good and bad writing.” He also added that, “The ability to write creative works is also declining. This could be the reason why there is now a dearth of locally-produced books.”

Henceforth, the ministry has taken Literature a step further whereby it has been introduced in primary schools in phases, as an intensive reading programme. The introduction of the primary syllabus builds on the current secondary programme. Its purpose is to raise the level of English competence at the primary level, which will in turn provide pupils a good foundation in the subject when they reach secondary school.

I would like to get your views or comments on this issue. Thank you.

By M.Nirmala
头像
老黄
Site Admin
联系:

Posted on: 2006/7/22 21:39

Hello Nirmala,

First, I must say that I too laud the government’s move in introducing literature to our learners. From what I have gathered over the years, we (teachers) see it only as a means to teach the target language. We tend to use literature to teach grammar, comprehension and vocabulary. In most schools (this is through observation and comments made by my nephews and nieces) there are teachers who would instruct the students to read a certain text and then give comprehension, grammar, or vocabulary based-tasks for them to complete. Well, I guess there is no right or wrong way to teach literature as it always comes back to the proficiency of the learners under our care – ‘the teacher knows best’ rule.

However, I think literature is a subject of such diversity that it is a waste to just use it as a vehicle to teach language alone. There are other models such as the personal growth model and the cultural model (which are vastly ignored by many) that should also be emphasized at the same time.
This is especially important now, since Malaysians on the whole have been labeled as a rude society (I am not sure if this is true but we have to face the fact that there are quite a number of rude people out there) and the increase in crime rate and other social tribulations that plague our youth. I think Literature in Malaysian context should be a vehicle not only to teach the English Language but also to inculcate good reading habits, insure students know and understand different culture and traditions, help increase their knowledge of the world and to instill in them good habits. According to Brumfit and Johnson, (First Road to Learning, English Teaching Forum, Volume 44, 2006) reading or telling stories in class is a natural way to learn a language. So let’s redefine literature in Malaysian context and tell stories. Language will take care of itself!

gurmitgill
头像
老黄
Site Admin
联系:

Thank you, Gurmit.

Yes, it is indeed true that there are quite a number of rude people out there and they need‘education’for the affective domain besides the cognitive domain. Especially, the younger generation of this era does not seem to be of equal footing with the previous generation. I believe by incorporating Personal Growth Model within the literature component; it develops the students’self-awareness within themselves and in their social communities, promotes students’life-long learning experiences/situations that are of authentic in nature and most of all literature can be used as a resource rather than language learning. To make the best out of this model, teachers should consider using suitable materials. Hence, the materials should be of the students’interest and level, allow students to reflect upon themselves towards developing into a better personality, and allow students to be empathetic/sympathetic towards the characters in stories read. Hopefully, this in turn will produce more decorous community in the near future.

By M. Nirmala
头像
老黄
Site Admin
联系:

Hi Nirmala,

It is indeed interesting to discern that literature has become important in Malaysian schools. I do believe that literature subject is the underpinning for younger students before they are introduced to the higher level of learning in schools. The implementation of Literature in English in Malaysian schools develops the students’ mind and also provides literary competence. Students are exposed to various literary texts and these really lead them towards better readers of text. Besides, the students develop to be more expressive and creative when they are engaged with the activities carried out by the teacher in the classrooms. Literature is indeed a 'fruitful’subject for teachers to inculcate moral values in students as well as a ‘weapon’ to aim the development of the students’ abilities to nurture themselves in differentiating the positive and negative elements of life.

Thank you.
With regards and love,
Charanjit K. Sidhu
头像
老黄
Site Admin
联系:

Hi, sis nimi. I would like to inform you that I want to "CHALLENGE" you! when I read once on your question, I was so confused how to reply it to you. But, I hope that we can share our expereince in teaching Literature.

I do agree with you that we need to use various types of ways to teach Literature. This is because Literature is very fun and interesting. As I know, Literature is like our life, it is so real and apparent to us. I think that it is a real and authentic subject that realte to everyone in our life. Therefore, it can reflect our life, especailly bring out our inner feelings towards people. We can learn how to appreciate to others in many ways. It is so real to me. What do you think?

Besides that, I do agree with you that Literature in Malaysian context should be a vehicle not only to teach the English Language but also to inculcate good reading habits, insure students know and understand different culture and traditions, help increase their knowledge of the world and to instill in them good habits. But, sometimes we now that it is so hard to help them to understand other country culture and traditions. As a adult like us, we also face the same problem like them. Anyway, as a Literature teacher, we need to help students to think creatively and imaginatively in learning literature. Therefore, it is our responsibility. Let's us to help our pity students!

By
leemeowling
头像
老黄
Site Admin
联系:

Hello Nirmala,

Personnally, i have no experience in teaching in schools yet but i would like to give my views on what is literature and its purpose through a survey which i conducted last semester. I spoke to several students from diffrent family backgrounds and etnics and according to them their views are more or less the same about literature. They feel that literature is about stories and poems and it serves to make the english lesson more interesting. Many said that literature is a foot stone to improve their proficiency in the English Language. To some extent, this is quite true and acceptable as english lessson would not only be clinged on to english textbooks but students are brought to the outside world as i feel and many agree that, ' literature is life and life is literature!' (they go along so well) .Therefore i would like to conclude that Language is the skeleton and literature would be the flesh. So let us all learn how to be the architects first and then share the flesh with our students simultaneously for an enjoyable yet effective teaching and learning environment to take place.

By
rajenee
头像
老黄
Site Admin
联系:

Hi Rajenee,

Thanks for responding to my dicussion question. It is interesting to know that majority of people have the same perception on Literature and its purpose. I believe as teachers we can further enlighten our students and the community around us on the importance of teaching Literature. Through teaching of Literature, we can actually cover a wide range of topics in a variety of genres. Literature challenges our student to be creative through high order thinking skills such as analysis, application, synthesis, etc.
Thank you.

m.nirmala
头像
老黄
Site Admin
联系:

Hello Nirmala,

I believe that the introduction of literature in primary schools is a beneficial step to our students as it will provide a strong foundation for them when they move on to secondary school. This step is a mode to encourage students to express their ideas more freely as literature instruction encourage students to read actively and comment freely. Additional to this, they also can use class discussions as a way of trying to understand and even transcend the differences in interpretation that come with differences in experience. The power of literature also nourish and educate the imagination of our students and thus providing a path for them to think critically.

----------------
Ambika
头像
老黄
Site Admin
联系:

Hi Ambika,

Nicely said dear friend! The power of literature does nourish and educate the imagination of our students sometimes beyond our expectation. Teachers normally tend to undermind their students' abilities thus 'bury' their hidden 'treasures of talents'. On the contrary, teachers should try whatever it takes to discover these potentials and EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Regards,

m.nirmala
头像
老黄
Site Admin
联系:

Hello Nirmala,

Your question is quite straightforward but indeed demands a lot of thinking. As a teacher, I myself must say that the steps taken by the Ministry of Education is appropriate at the right time. Although the step to introduce the literature subject is not 100% accepted, as a teacher I must agree with it. The first reason why the ministry introduces that subject is to inculcate the reading habit. Our vision is to build a long life reader. As students, they must realize that they need to read a lot. Even though it seems easy than done, we as teachers, should motivate our students to read. The most important thing is to be a role model for them. Just imagine if we as teachers do not like reading, what more with our students? I think it is completely correct by teaching literature, students will at least read something that can improve their knowledge.

Apart from that, literature has been introduced because the ministry wants the students or the generations to be more critical and creative in their thinking. It will be better if the students use their thinking skills in order to more rational. This is because literature involves many processes of thinking.

So Nirmala, we better motivate our students since the first day they were introduced to literature in order to achieve those purposes, right?

by
noraszlin
回复

回到 “学校教育”